Friday, June 3, 2011

Flowers









As you can see from the pictures that I post here, I love flowers.

Today I ordered A LOT of bulbs, mostly tulip-bulbs. They will be sent to me in late Sept and that is when I will plant them.  And I will dream about them until next spring. Then I will take pictures of them and post them here for you! I am a flower addict. I love love love flowers. I think that they, along with butterflies and dragonflies are very courageous to live and express their beauty in such a  world. Last year I wanted to plant flowers for my mother around the big tree in the middle of our front yard. This year I did it!!!  I am determined to surround us with many flowers. They will be our fortress. They help us keep faith. They remind us to take a deep breath.

And tulips- they remind me of the sweet old man who lived down my street ... One moment my seven year old hands were tugging at tulips, the next moment i was staring into the eyes of a full-grown male human being. I froze, my head tilted upwards to meet my bad fate.  My little hands clenched my stolen treasure as i waited for my scolding. I just hoped that it would be quick and that i could run home before the tears came.

The tulip-man asked me softly if  I liked his garden. I nodded yes. My little ears registered curiosity and kindness in his voice. I looked into the tulip man's eyes and my eyes confirmed what my ears had heard. There was no anger in his eyes.

Yes, I nodded again. Indeed, I liked his garden very much, so much as to have to talk myself out of picking its flowers every day on my way to and back from school. Today I  could no longer control what felt like an impulse.

The tulip man asked only a few questions and then politely invited me to continue picking flowers. It seemed as though he had no desire to disturb me in my business.

I thanked the tulip man very much and walked a few houses down to present my mom with her gift.

I never picked flowers again from the tulip-man's garden. I knew full well that here was a man that had earned every flower that grew in his garden.

The tulip-man has moved away or died. The treasure that he gave me has not.


Soft eyes of Love

Soft eyes of Love
With tender patience
and faithful trust
light green eyes; i bathe in their gentle expanse
and
find self and spirit
resting

Your voice,  your trust in me, your loyalty tap through distance and time
and reach me

You show me
and
guide me to the place, the in between spaces where spirit inhabits

Through you i can reach into those treasures that lie within me

You see
You see
You see





I wrote this little poem for a friend, a real good friend
no wonder it came up here with the tulip-man
some souls simply belong together

2 comments:

  1. I love your thought about flowers being courageous. All of us V pain sufferers are beautiful and courageous like flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonia, thank you for your comment. And for being a part of my journey. Love, Atara

    ReplyDelete